Satellite
Show on map
  • La llosa de Camacho

    December 8, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Arrived at my next WorkAway just outside a small village called La llosa de Camacho which is 10km inland from Denia. Apparently the villagers dont like foreigners; by which they mean everyone not from the village. There are about 30 native families whose children for several generations have braved the 6 km journey to an altogether more friendly Alcalali in order to socialise and endulge in dangerous thrills such as dancing. But woe betide any romantic liaisons as one lady discovered when she dared to marry one of the Alcalali lads and is now shunned by the good folk of her village. Why she still lives there I do not know.

    The old Frankia struggled up a short goat track to get to the house and is now comfortable in an almond orchard.

    A Dutch couple of my age, Rob and Joanna are my chain-smoking hosts in their self-built house on a hillside. There seem to be a lot of Netherlanders around, competing with the English expats to render Spanish unnecessary in the neighbourhood: the locals speak Valencian which is a dialect of Catalan.

    With musical background provided by the "Voice of Holland" show on the satellite TV, they tell me how they came to stay here 18 years ago on account of the warmer climate and encroaching arthritis. Since they obviously need less money than living in Holland, the Dutch government reduces their pension every year until - next year - it will not be sufficient to sustain them. Returning would mean paying a "re-integration" tax and receiving less social welfare rights than refugees. Having worked in a variety of self-managed businesses, (lorry driving, building, stained glass, restaurant, bar,) they have the capability to survive in the black economy and are starting a Dutch supermarket in nearby Jalon. Getting the shop ready for business by 21st Dec is the priority and I will now become a shop fitter.

    The house is a long narrow building fitted into an olive terrace and reminds me of a Dutch barge layout. Water run-off is collected in a 20,000 litre tank which is nearly empty so showers are brief, like on a boat. Electricity is supplied by solar panels and a wind turbine and stored in a few batteries. This is inadequate for comfort and the small generator struggles if a band-saw and washing machine are used simultaneously. Even the fridge runs on gas. One project will be to calculate their real needs and plan some upgrades. They also dream of making an even smaller, easier to maintain house a little way along the terrace and renting out their current 2 bedroom house. This is what was advertised on the WorkAway site and will be a major project, especially since the entire water and power requirements will need to be upgraded.
    Read more