Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 101

    A bit of theatre

    February 5, 2019 in Italy ⋅ 🌬 9 °C

    Here are the two arenas: the semi-circular Greek and the oval Roman one. The former mainly for culture and the latter for war sport.

    The majority view of the specialists in antiquities is that the Greek Theatre is 2500 years old: some claim theatre was performed here since the city was first established. Whichever view is correct - and maybe both are - the mind boggles. I can hardly get my head around the documented fact that tragedies such as 'The Persians' and ' ' written by Aeschylus had been performed here in 470 BCE.

    Originally, this site was chosen to be above the city and without a backdrop so the eye would be led out to infinity. The trees and apartment blocks would not have interrupted the view. Sound, unlike Roman theatres, was reflected back by large ceramic or bronze panels about where the trees start. The central chorus area was round until the Romans cut it up to add moving scenery. The 67 tiers could hold 18000 people and are laid out in an unusually shallow angle in the shape of a shell.

    Aristotle tells us that a visit to the theatre was a catharsis, a purification of the passions, but it also had a political and educative role to play as well. Unscripted meetings were held. In fact the theatre was civic utility controlled by the State who both censored productions, (only 1 in 5 submitted plays were ever performed,) and gave free entry tokens to those who couldn't afford the entrance fee. Plays by Euripedes and Sophocles were apparently acceptable.

    An aqueduct had been carved to bring in water from above the bowl. Astonishingly it still provides water 2500 years later, all we have done is pollute the supply so it is undrinkable.

    Only a few hundred metres away the Romans built their amphitheatre (AMPI = double sided, TEATRON= viewing,) in about the 3rd C. At 3 stories high it was the 3rd largest in Italy, only Rome and Verona were bigger. Compared to the Greek Theatre though it is a side-show.

    The tunnel between the first and second levels used by spectators to access their seats, was called the "vomitorium". Football stadiums should have them as well!

    Last, in the XII C the Normans built a small church, St Nicholas, from the remains of the Roman cistern that supplied water to the amphitheatre. It now collects money from pilgrims like myself visiting the old places - it's the Tourist Office - and I bet the church is kicking itself at the lost opportunity.
    Read more