Satellite
  • Day 175

    Toast

    April 20, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    This large harbour is in the shape of a deers head, "brentesion" in Greek, which the Romans pronounce "Brundesium" and the Italians "Brindisi. Legend has it that the port was founded by the epic hero Diomedes; records show that it has been settled since Roman and Greek times. The poet Virgil died here, though not on stage.
    Occupying a strategic position at the heel of Italy, the place has been overrun by all the usual empires and kingdoms including the Ostrogoths, Lombards and Kings of Sicily. During WW2, it was briefly the capital of Italy.
    Even the censor of Rome in 312 BCE, Appius Claudius Caecus, could not have seen the longevity of his 560 km Via Appia, which connects the Eternal City to the port of Brindisi. Before air transportation became so common, it was the gateway to the east for many. The silk trade had its route through Brindisi. Silk would be loaded from trains onto the English ships that continued the journey from London to Bombay. The Crusaders used this port to sail to the Holy Land.
    The locals proudly advertise the two columns marking the end of the road. Unfortunately, one crumbled in 1582 and the bits given to the town of Lecce to hold the statue of Saint Oronzo, who was the town's patron Saint and was thought to have cured the plague in Brindisi. Still, one is enough for bragging rights.
    Crusaders leaving Europe would drop into the local taverns, as soldiers do, to drink a toast to their eventual return - shortened to 'a Brindisi' and then just 'Brindisi'. To this day Italians still call a toast a Brindisi.
    =================================================
    This 53m high structure is a memorial for the rudderless in life, although it is called the monument to Italian Sailors.
    Read more