Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 175

    Crusader lodging

    April 20, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    The church of San Giovanni al Sepolcro was built by the Knight Order of the Canons Regular of the Holy Sepulcher, (an artillery regiment?) before 1128 according to ancient documents.After the Knight Order was dismissed their goods and possesions were inherited by the Order of St John of jerusalem, (Order of Malta,) and then by the local archbishop.
    It was conceived as a reproduction of the Rotonda of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem - the "umbilicus mundi" or navel of the world.
    It was built in the round with pillars "repurposed" from a variety of other buildings - no two are alike.
    The main door is framed by two lions upholding columns. The sculptors were more familiar with sea-lions I think.
    The side fdoor is flanked by marble panels depicting humans, animals and mythological figures with a symbolic meaning beyond even the imaginations of modern archaeologists to explain.
    Recently, the crypt area, in which pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem would lodge, has revealed mosaics belonging to a 1st or 2nd C Roman domus (house).
    For a complete set of images visit:
    http://www.brundarte.it/2013/08/13/chiesa-di-sa…
    Read more