Satellite
  • Day 182

    Street view

    April 27, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    The mask with long horns, open mouth and sticking his tongue out is apotropian, (from the Greek word meaning a lucky charm against evil.) Such a horrible expression is sure to repel evil spirits.
    The image of "nasocchio" recalls the elf of Nordic legends, transformed by the Pugliese and renamed "Augurellu", Monachellu, Nasu-e-occhiu. He is the capricious spirit who amuses himself by creating small domestic disturbances such as tossing small pebbles around the house or messing up your clothes. He doesn't tolerate a challenge or allow himself to be seen. Although audacious, indiscrete and teasing, he can also be loving towards the poor and those of good heart. With proper respect he brings wealth, and good fortune to the household.
    According to ancient lore he prefers places with 7 hearths and 7 families to please. This addition to the Norse myth can be traced to the Romans, who believed that 7 hearths and 7 families pleased Lare (the hearth god,) who then protected the household from evil and brought good fortune.
    If you want to buy one, or if you want to buy a fridge magnet or perhaps a straw boater there are many opportunities along the main street leading up the hill. Other than that there is not a lot - even the cathedral is a bit ho-hum; they did not even put glass in what might have been a well-executed Rose window.
    Read more