Satellite
  • Day 4

    Parks, parks and more parks!

    September 23, 2018 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Today our plan was to go to the southern part of Singapore and walk Mount Faber and the southern ridge. And what a fantastic day it was! First we decided to walk to Little India for Masala Dosa and Vadai for brunch and then jumped on the MRT to the Harbour front.

    On arrival we were a bit unsure where the trail started so we asked someone along the way. They were unbelievably shocked that we wanted to walk from the MRT to Mount Faber. At first he wouldn't tell us the directions and repeatedly said we must be looking for the cable car. After getting his friend involved they eventually pointed us in the right direction of the Marang Trail. If I'm honest the heat was suffocating so after talking to them I was quite unsure whether we had decided to do the right thing especially as the heat was truly suffocating, but actually the walk was unbelievably easy! It took us around half an hour. At the top was a lovely bar with the view of the port and actually the most impressive part was the toilets. Now that is a toilet with a view!

    We then carried on wandering over Henderson Waves, along a forest walk, through Hort Park, over the Canopy Walk in Kent Ridge Park and finally visited the slightly odd and unexpected Haw Par Villa. Haw Par Villa was opened by the owner of Tiger Balm who with his excess funds designed a theme park containing over 1000 statues and giant's dipicting Chinese mythology and history. I must admit after going through several picturesque parks it was a bit odd going through here. But it was our last stop for the walk and after 22,000 steps and a hell of a lot of sweating we made it.

    For the second half of the day we went shopping for a few bits and bats and treated ourselves to a hot chocolate fudge sundae from McDs (well how can we say no to an ice cream for £1), before heading home and going for a swim.

    Finally we met up with Amber's friend, Dafina, for dinner who took us out for Sting Ray. It had the texture of pulled pork and had a super yummy chilli and tomato sauce. Really great end to a very tiring day!
    Read more