Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Imagine if we'd got up early?!

    September 22, 2018 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Well we clearly had too much sleep as last night we were awake all night. Ahhh is this what jet lag feels like. So let's say the early morning 3 hour walk around Macritchie Reservoir with Wing did not happen and neither did we see much of daylight to be honest. I watched a film in the morning as Will couldn't bring himself to get out of bed, we had noodle stir fry from the night before that we grabbed for our supposed early start and then did some planning and booking for our US part of the trip (for those that don't know our full route yet I won't spoil it any further).

    It was nearing 4pm and we really had to get out the flat and headed to one of the few things left on the to do list, Ben's Cookies. (I genuinely thought this was a Singaporean thing but later found it actually originated in Oxford, wups). Having not walked all day we decided to up our steps and wander there while picking up a burrito on the way. And it didn't disappoint it was a darn good cookie and definitely worth leaving the house for!

    Then we walked to Fort Canning. Walking around Singapore is much more fun than taking the MRT. You get to see some real hidden gems and on this occasion we got free Magnums! And not just any magnums the deluxe kind! I got pistachio and Will got Hazelnut. This day was definitely getting better.

    Fort Canning is a small hill placed in the middle of the city which had various activity throughout Singapore history. The area was really lovely, with great views of the city and absolutely stunning banyan trees.

    The final part of the day was to join the other hundreds of people see the moon festival themed Gardens by the Bay. We did go to the Gardens by the Bay last time but this time it was really special. They had lanterns down the river and all around the gardens. We sat and watched a Chinese orchestra, the Super Trees light show and part of an Indian opera. The day was finished off by eating Okonomoyaki and an oyster puff (mined pork, oysters, Celery leaves, deep fried in a thick batter and sprinkled with peanuts).

    So although it was a bit of a difficult start we still walked over 16,000 steps and got some fun things done.
    Read more