Satellite
  • Day 3

    Seriously can something go right for us?

    October 23, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We were feeling pretty defeated in the morning and to be honest we woke up with zero plans for the day. So we had a lazy morning, did our washing and chilled for a bit. Around lunchtime we decide to head out and have what America does best, a dirty brunch and go to Johny's Luncheonette. Will went with his work colleagues previously and said its an experience that I need in my life. So all ready and about to head out I hear a cry of help coming from the bathroom. I ran in and the whole place was flooding. The toilet was blocked and it was overflowing everywhere. We panicked for 30 seconds with not a clue what to do before I realised I remember seeing a plunger and eventually was able to stop the water. We were able to clear the water quite quickly and bleached everything. Just as we finished up we heard the doorbell ring... again our hearts began to race... I answered the door and the maintenance guy said there was a leak downstairs! We explained what had happened and he seemed pretry calm and just said OK that's fine and walked off. PHEW!! After discussing this with Luke and a few others it seems this is quite common in Manhattan!

    It was now pretry late and our brunch turned into a high tea, but we went to Johny's Luncheonette anyway. And wow... It was an experience... But I would NEVER take anyone there again. Although the place was clean, it was a true American dirty diner experience. No one needs to eat that much food...

    Full, slightly greasy and dehydrated we went to the 9-11 Memorial Museum which has free entry after 5pm,all you have to do is queue early, get a ticket for a time slot and then queue for the time slot. Have I mentioned that it's FREEZING here. So waiting in a queue for 2 hours was not my ideal, but the time eventually passed and we got in. Having been to quite a few heart tugging museums now I wasn't really sure what to think of it. The people's stories were very overwhelming and powerful but overall, maybe because it was so busy, I didn't quite feel the emotion I have felt in others eg Budapest and Vietnam, but still definitely worth going.

    Having not quite completed our steps yet we meandered around the area for while before heading home and having a spaghetti Carbonara for dinner 😊
    Read more