Satellite
  • Day 45

    Day 45 - Thailand/Bangkok Arrival!

    October 24, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 26 °C

    Well we made it to the fourth and final country of our trip. We woke up early, ate breakfast, and got a ride to the airport. We landed in Bangkok around 1:00pm but after going through immigration, baggage check (they made us check our bags for the first time this trip), and customs, then eating lunch, taking the airport rail to the city, and catching a cab, we didn't get to the homestay until close to 4:00.

    This place is amazing. We are staying at a Thai homestay about 10 minutes outside of the city (we move to the city Thursday). The house is a wooden Thai style house next to a canal that has been passed down for 4 generations. The property is huge, with the main house for the family, a museum of old antiques, 4 guest cabins with private bathrooms, an outdoor breakfast area, sitting areas, and more! The family also has a coffee plantation in southern Thailand so we will be enjoying fresh coffee and coffee flower tea tomorrow.

    After we settled in, we walked around the property, and then wandered the neighborhood. After awhile, we found a street full of little restaurants and street food. We sat down at an outdoor restaurant (basically a food stand surrounded by a couple of plastic tables). No one spoke English so we couldn't order but they made us two amazing plates of food - ground chicken with garlic, basil, and chili peppers over rice. All of that with two water bottles for $3. Yum!

    Then we went back to the homestay just in time for a quick thunderstorm. We sat outside, under shelter, and watched the storm while playing chess and drinking Chang beers. Now we are in bed under our mosquito netting and getting ready to read!
    Read more