Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38–39

    Heat, vulcano & dunes, CA

    May 10 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    From Volcanoes to Dunes: Our Desert Odyssey Continues!

    Hey fellow adventurers,

    Buckle up because our desert escapade just got even more exhilarating – from volcanic craters to towering sand dunes, we've seen it all!

    Can you believe you can buy land here for a mere 25K? Talk about a steal – or should I say sand? With nothing but sand and hot air as far as the eye can see, it truly feels like we've reached the end of the world. But hey, that's the beauty of adventure, right?

    Amboy Crater National Park stole the show with its striking black volcano rising from the desert floor. Formed of ash and cinders, is 250 feet high and 1500 feet in diameter. We tackled the rim loop and were rewarded with a breathtaking sunset – nature's way of saying, "You made it!"

    Another highlight, the Kelso Dunes, rises more than 600 feet over the desert floor and covers more than 45 square miles. Rising early (5:30 am) to beat the scorching heat, we embarked on a steep dune hike at the crack of dawn to see the beautiful view of the dune system created during the past 25'000 years. Trust me, nothing gets your heart pumping like scaling towering sand dunes as the sun paints the sky with hues of gold and pink.

    And let's not forget about the Black Canyon group and its "Hole in the wall" – a playground of volcanic rocks with nooks and crannies just waiting to be explored. Climbing enthusiasts, rejoice – these rocks are not only fun to climb but also home to a plethora of fascinating plant and animal species. There is even a bush which smells like cheese...missing fondue and raclette already, haha and beautiful cactus with bright pink and yellow flowers, a real highlight in the sandy desert.

    So, my intrepid companions, as we journey deeper into the desert, let's embrace the unknown, conquer new heights, and leave no sand dune unexplored!

    Stay adventurous,
    Read more