Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Diving Komodo 3

    February 21, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ 🌧 29 °C

    The last 2 dives of our first day consisted of a very fun (challenging for some) drift dive along the coast of Siaba Kecil Island and a night dive.

    Komodo National Park scuba diving is renowned among the scuba diving community around the world, and a very characteristic aspect to diving here are the many varied and ever-changing currents. The current can pull you in any direction, even downwards. So it is key to have an knowledgeable, experienced and wise diving guide, as well as have decent diving experience when coming here.

    Lucky for us, not only was our divemaster fabulous, but the otemher 2 guests aboard the boat were ex-dive instructors. So we made up a pretty solid team!!

    Our third dive of the trip was an underwater roller-coaster ride. It felt like riding the east australian current in the film "Finding Nemo". You are drifting so fast it's hard to really take in the teeming life of the coralreefs you are passing by. Good thing our divemaster knows his stuff and exactly where and how we exit the current.
    My most memorable moment was ridung the current alongside a turtle and seeing it continue on the current which was chsnging in an upward direction just in the moment when we exited the stream before finishing the dive.

    After a full day of diving and numerous beach visits we were exhausted. Yet, we had a 4th dive pending, and in the dark! It was a frst for both of us and not one of our favourites. We dove around a little shipwreck and saw a few interedring things... frog fish (which camouflage and are rather ugly), shrimps, etc.

    We fell into bed utterly wrecked as early as we were allowed, with the knowledge of a pre-dawn start the next day to see the sunrise atop Padar Island.
    Read more