Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Finola + Montmartre

    March 9 in France ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Finola is a poet and fiction writer, as well as a software programmer for Intel. She has been my idol since the age of 12, and it's so lovely to see our friendship still going strong. Unfortunately she had a writing deadline to reach during the time I was in Paris, which meant we had little time to spend together. But better that than nothing at all!
    After our catch up I saw the Louvre was all booked out, so I decided to take a walking tour of the historically famous neighbourhood of Montmartre.

    Once a town outside of Paris, and renowned for its debaucherous evening activity after all the agriculturers and mill workers finished their day, this current neighbourhood made its mark on Parisian history and politics in 1870 when its communist tendencies captained by the alternative and poor artists living in the area refused to be downtrodden by the national ruling power.

    The moulin rouge is actually a fake and more modern represantation of the typical Montmartre mills, built closer to the walls of the city of Paris in 1870, where the more international and well-to-do part of parisian society could go to. Made timeless by Tolouse-Lautrec and other renowned characters.
    Read more