Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6–8

    Brushwood Studios

    October 5, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ 🌬 17 °C

    A dramatic change in the weather today - wet and very windy.
    Each time we come to Parknasilla, we visit the nearby Brushwood Studios art gallery, reached via a long single track through the woods.
    The gallery is owned by the Muller family who moved here from South Africa in the 1970's. Theirs is a fascinating history, worth reading on their website brushwoodstudios.com. Each member of the family is a talented artist.
    We were met by Etienne Muller, a writer and skilled woodworker who builds sea kayaks and who, during the Covid pandemic, built himself a beautiful wooden sailing boat which he showed us in his workshop.
    Our favourite artist is Jo-Anne Yelen, his sister, and we have various prints of hers around our house. We love her style and use of bold colours - of course we had to buy another one!
    Too stormy to go exploring today so back to the hotel to relax over coffee/beer.
    Jo later ventured out, braving the weather for a short walk but soon returned as the rain started up again - very exhilarating in the wind but not in the rain!
    Today is our last full day at Parknasilla. We've had a brilliant week, reminding us why we love this stunning area so much. This is our 4th visit to the hotel and it has undergone many changes since our last stay about 12 years ago, moving with the times to attract a wider clientele and survive post-Covid. It is still a very special place however and no doubt we'll be back again one day.
    Read more