Satellite
  • Day 135

    San Martin del Camino

    July 14, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 68 °F

    Our walk from León to San Martin was not the most scenic today because of the long route out of the city. Plus, we were near a lot of traffic noise and even took a break at a dive of a truck stop. 😂😂Needless to say, I did not have many picture opportunities.

    But I heard two things today that made me giggle:

    1. A Scottish woman used the words “Matted with grunge” when she was talking about dirty socks worn by a man she had met.
    2. Andy saying, “That was feral!” After finishing his shot of licor de orujo.

    We have been very fortunate that it hasn’t been crowded at all for us and, up until now, we have not had to book an albergue much at all. But as we plan out our last days we might book ahead more because there are more pilgrims starting and other Caminos are connecting to this one.

    This afternoon I was thinking I wouldn’t have much to show you today, but I am always surprised on this trip. When we stay at an albergue, many times the owners provide a pilgrim meal. We have had good ones, so-so ones, fantastic ones, and “oh my word! That was bad!” ones. But tonight’s had to be the best of them all, not because the food surpassed all the others, but because of one Italian man who sat with us. His wife and daughter were at the other table, but he was placed at ours because their table ran out of chairs. We lucked out! He was quiet at the start, but then shared some Italian wisdom and a drinking game with us that made us all SO happy. I have included a video so you can get an idea of the fun we had. Thank you to the Albergue Santa Ana for the great food, wine, and after dinner liqueur!

    Italian Wisdom:
    1. The brain is overrated.
    2. Less brain equals more happiness 😁
    Read more