Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Beautiful Moscow

    October 14, 2017 in Russia ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    What is Moscow like? The worries and warnings were not warrented at all. This is a glorious city. I'm now quite fascinated with how these negative stereotypes came about. The second world war and the American cold war propaganda is still such a strong influence over at least Australia's impressions of this country.

    The buildings are really beautiful, and so pristine. There are so many different architecture styles, so many different colours, no peeling paint, and perfect mosaics on some of the fancy hotels. There are quite a few covered for renovations, but the covering is often printed with the picture of the building, so the street scapes are still beautiful. I wonder if Moscow is always like this, or if it's all spruced up for this WFYS conference and for FIFA next year.

    The people are serious, until you approach them in most cases. Even the military guards and police who patrol the streets are quite friendly if you need to ask for directions. The younger generation are darling, often with good English. If you ask something stupid though, they will probably laugh at you - today I went to the tekrakov gallery and left my ticket in my bag which I'd cloaked. The old woman shook her head at me and laughed and threw her hands around when I ran back to get it - this is usually in good humour though.

    The restaurants are also very glorious. So neat and fancy. Although I don't know what Moscow was like 30 years ago in the soviet era, the stereotype is that everything is that brutal architecture and not beautiful. Everything is practical rather than beautiful. This is the opposite I feel. Since the city is for everyone - every proletariat worker - the whole city is beautiful, and has the aim of accommodating everyone. Moscow's circular city map and large open spaces are a testament to this.

    The train stations built by Stalin are the most beautiful I've ever seen, and they are not grand in the way the hermitage is grand - as a gawdy show of wealth and disregard for those 'lower' than you, but they represent a beauty open for everyone, in a very public space, with beautiful brass statues of us, the workers. Not queens or gods, but poets and labourers.

    Moscow is easily one of my favourite cities in Europe. The pride the locals have in their city, shown in the way they keep it so immaculate and their willingness to show you around; the mesh of architecture from classic, to baroque (so much baroque in Russia!) and the soviet buildings make it a literal museum of its vibrant history. Don't be scared of Moscow. Don't believe the American cold war rhetoric. Come to russia and see this glorious country and its capital for yourself. And after you've done some sightseeing, wash it all down with a bowl of hot borscht.
    Read more