Satellite
  • Day 12

    Day 12: Accolay - Asquins

    August 24, 2016 in France ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Distance: 27.5KM (285. 2/1714.8)
    Weather: 32C hot and humid
    Mood: Pretty relaxed. I can actually still walk once I put off my shoes. This is a new thing 🙂
    Blisters: 1 (though I have a few sore areas, probably due to callouses)

    The point of a hill

    I really don't mind a little climbing, I actually welcome it as its a change to the routine of walking, you use different muscles, and it actually brings me into a but of a hard working flow and most importantly, you get a great view as your reward.
    However, today I had quite a number of hills to climb that seemed completely pointless to me. I would be walking in the middle of a dense forest and I'd be climbing fiercely with my heavy pack on my back and once I reached the top there was... even more dense forest. No clearing, no view, just a waste of some good energy.
    I suggest they just dug out these paths and create cool valleys, sorry, but without a view... What's the point?!

    I intended to reach vezelay today, but it was just too bloody hot to climb that hill (in one of the pics you can see the hill that is Vezelay in the background). I think I may have even a been a but overheated and low on salt, so I found myself a nice bath house (I kid you not) and cooled down my feet and ate nuts. Tomorrow I will see vezelay in the morning light and this is where I should start encountering more pilgrims... We shall see!
    Read more