Satellite
  • Day 78

    Day 77: Pedrouzo - Lavacolla

    October 29, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Distance: 8.9 (1857/10.2)
    Weather: 26C, lovely sunny
    Mood: Melancholic
    Staying at: Casa Lavacolla

    The end of a chapter

    After a simple breakfast in a bar I say goodbye to my three friends (Mike, Baptise and Juan-Marie). The hug I get from Mike expresses the warm bond we've built in such a short space of time and I feel very said as I watch them walk away.
    Today I celebrate the last day of lonesome walking and it has to be done in style, by myself. I only have 9km ahead of me and I am determined to walk it as slowly as my sanity allows me. I take my first break after 3km and see many pilgrims pass by hurriedly, they have already missed the opportunity to attend the 12 o'clock mass in Santiago. I meet German flute player Nicole once again and I buy him a tea to help him achieve his 0 euro day.
    My second break is unexpectedly lovely. The people around me all seem to want to enjoy every last inch of camino left and so the atmosphere is relaxed and happy. A couple is walking with their 1.5 year old son (on the back, they're not making him walk :-) and I watch the little boy run around and play with acorns. People talk about feeling strange about this being so close to the end and I understand and share this feeling. I spend the last kms thinking about all the special people I met on the camino and feel grateful.
    And now I'm at the terrace of a local bar at my destination of the day enjoying some lovely warm rays. I'm feeling strange, happy and a bit anxious. At some point today I will be reunited with Marc and that will signify the end of and important chapter of this journey.... and I wonder, what will lie ahead of us...?
    Read more