Satellite
  • Day 43

    Toledo - Saturday

    February 18, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Toledo for the weekend. Left home early (for Spain, so just after 9) and headed south. Madrid has a very complex highway system. But we figured it out with the help of Apple maps and general guess work. The route we needed to take to Toledo wasn't the one sign posted for Toledo. Somewhat confusing until you realize there are three highways going from Madrid to Toledo. That would be like 3 highways going from Joburg to Springs. Useful but not very sensible.

    Arriving in the old town we parked up next to the Alacazar (fancy name for castle) and bundled everyone out the car. Parking in these small towns is not cheap and you don't get very much space for your money. In fact you leave your keys with the car park attendant so he can move your car around to get others in and out.

    From the car park we headed West-is and downhill to the Plaza Mayor (not very impressive) and the then to the cathedral where we got into the he free part (a tiny little corner that holds the confession section) but you get to see about as much of an old cathedral that you need to, so that was value for money.

    Out the cathedral and round the corner we came upon the other side of the cathedral. This is what would normally be the main entrance with a square and a large party for kids with cancer. Kirsten got two balloons out of it so she was happy. Round the corner again, past an old lady with a dog three times her size that tried to eat another dog next to Kirsten (not the best moment of the day) and we were back at the Plaza Mayor. Sigh. But just goes to show if you keep turning left you'll probably end up where you started.

    By now it was lunch time and we traced out steps back tot he Alcazar to a little bar in a closed off courtyard. Taryn said her food was good. I disagreed. Kirsten had fun with a little Spanish boy so in the end all was good.

    By now it was time to head off to our abode for the night which was in the newer part of town. A few arguments about direction giving and taking and we made it to the abode. Nice flat and everyone had a nap. Some (Kirsten) for longer than others (Nathan and parents by association).
    Read more