Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    Fraser Island

    March 5, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    We had our first truly early morning here on the east coast. Waking up at 5:20 in Elanda Point Ecocamp in the Everglades. At 6:15 we were picked up by a massive 4 by 4 and drove towards Fraser Island. On the drive our tour guide Scott, who worked with Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin before he became famous in Australia Zoo, talked about the area, the coolest fact is that Fraser Island and the national park on the mainland has more sand than anywhere else in the world, and that the area has the tallest sand dunes in the world.
    Our 22 seater 4 by 4 was transferred to the island with a barge, and then we took the only sand highway in the world around the island.
    First stop was along the highway for a cup of tea and some biscuits. We were then taken through the township Eurong and along the inland tracks to lake McKenzie, a beautiful lake which sits more than 100 meters above sea level. The lake is 1 among only 70 perched lakes in the world. Perched lakes exist due to a waterproof nutrient layer that keeps the water of the lake to seep through the sand.
    After a swim in wonderful weather we went to central station for lunch. During lunch it started raining, but we still went for a walk, a soaking wet walk.
    It was now time to head back through Eurong to the sand highway along the coast. Here we got very lucky and saw to Dingos on the beach just running along checking the cars out.
    As the roads on Fraser Island were in stellar condition, we managed to be back in time for a short drive along Rainbow beach on the mainland. Rainbow beach gets its name from the colourful sand, which after a school project has been determined to contain 72 colours.
    After a stop at a petrol station we went back to the camp ground got freshened up and went to a nearby hotel for dinner.
    Read more