Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Days 22, 23 and 24

    September 12, 2023, Adriatic Sea ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    Day 22 - Firstly congratulations to our son-in-law Daniel who played his last competitve game of soccer last Saturday in the semi-finals. From playing in Toowoomba to the AIS, youth Roar, Gold Coast United, Adelaide United, Brisbane Roar to finally Brisbane City which he captained. As a little boy Daniel always wanted to play for the Brisbane Roar and he made that dream come true. If I remember correctly he captained the Under 21 Australian team. Despite having his share of injuries he fought his way back. Congratulations Daniel on a fantastic career doing what you loved and now lets watch Leo who loves the game too.

    Day 22 - we caught the train from Verona to Venice and then a taxi to the Azamara cruise ship. Its a magnificent ship with 600 passengers on board. There was no waiting to get on, they seemed to be able to handle the groups as they arrived. We are sailing from Venice to Athens.

    Day 23 - a tuk tuk tour around the new part of the city of Zadar, Croatia. This was followed by a walking tour through the old part of the city. The sphinx (human head and hands and lion body) is believed to be a monument to Giovanni Smirich's wife. Our guide for the walking tour was a very passionate young local who appears to live and breathe the city. He took us into the backyard of his own home to show us the approximately 400 year old well. A highlight of Zadar is the sea organ. It is a set of pipes and whistles set within perforated stone stairs. When the sea pushes air through them wistful sighs can be heard. Its a specutacular place to sit and listen.

    Day 24 - this morning we docked in Sibenik, Croatia. From there we took a bus trip (following the coastline) to Trogir. The bays have beautiful settlements from the sea up the hills. Many families have boats. The main attraction is the Cathedral of St Lawrence, on which work started in 1213. There's quite a lot of olive groves and vineyards in some very stoney country. Trogir is a UNESCO site.

    Photo 1 - Azamara Onward
    Video 1 and Photo 2 - Leaving Venice
    Photo 3 - View from Verandah restaurant arriving in Zadar
    Photo 4 - 1 tuk tuk ride around new Zadar
    Video 2 - Zadar
    Photo 5 - Zadar arts and crafts
    Photo 6- 1 original gate into old Zadar
    Photo 7 - sphinx
    Photo 8 - leaving Zadar - people listening to the sea organ
    Photo - 9 - arriving Sibinek
    Photos - 10, 11 and 12 - Trogir
    Photo 13 - sunset leaving Sibinek
    Read more