Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Basilica Papale di San Pietro in Vatican

    October 6, 2018 in Vatican City ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    Even though we did a tour of the Vatican Museum and St Peters Basilica, including the climb to the dome last year, we decided to return today for another look. And I’m glad we did. Even though the weather wasn’t the best, it went from sunshine to rain, the hour waiting in line passed quickly and we were back inside The Papal Basilica of St. Peter in the Vatican, or simply St. Peter's Basilica.

    This time we had more time to wander about and admire the amazing art work, sculptures, ceilings and floors, and even though the gloomy weather affected the light inside, it was still very special.

    Catholic tradition holds that the Basilica is the burial site of Saint Peter, chief among Jesus's Apostles and also the first Bishop of Rome. Saint Peter's tomb is supposedly directly below the high altar of the Basilica. For this reason, many Popes have been interred at St. Peter's since the Early Christian period, and there has been a church on this site since the time of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great in the 4th century AD. The present basilica was built between 1506 and 1626.

    We were able to visit the Vatican Grottos this time and while we were unable to take photos, it was a very amazing place to see. Positioned just below the basilica it contains chapels dedicated to various saints, and tombs of kings, queens and popes, dating from the 10th century. The holiest place is Peter’s tomb, containing the "memory", built in the 4th century by the Emperor Constantine, on the spot were the Apostle’s tomb was venerated. The monuments to Paul VI (1978) and Pope John Paul II (2005) are also in the grottos.

    It was worth the return visit and the wait.
    Read more