Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Fontana di Trevi, Rome

    October 4, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    One of my favourite sites in Rome is the beautiful Trevi Fountain. Luckily for us it was so close to our apartment that we walked past it, or visited it, more than once every day. Many of the times the fountain and the area around it were so packed that it was almost impossible to even get a glimpse of it. Due to the closeness we made sure to visit early in the morning before the crowds arrived and later at night when the crowds had thinned out to take some photos, to sit for a while, admire it and appreciate the artistry.

    There is something about the whiteness of the travertine stone and the aquamarine colour of the water that creates such a contrast against the gritty backdrop of Rome. And different times of day and night and the weather conditions highlighted different aspects every time we saw it.

    Designed by Italian architect Nicola Salvi and completed by Giuseppe Pannini, construction began in 1732 and it was opened in 1762. Standing 26.3 metres high and 49.15 metres wide, it is the largest Baroque fountain in the city and one of the most famous fountains in the world.

    Coins are purportedly meant to be thrown using the right hand over the left shoulder. This was the theme of 1954's Three Coins in the Fountain and the Academy Award-winning song by that name which introduced the picture.

    An estimated 3,000 euros are thrown into the fountain each day. In 2016, an estimated €1.4 million was thrown into the fountain. The money has been used to subsidize a supermarket for Rome's needy; however, there are regular attempts to steal coins from the fountain, even though it is illegal to do so.

    It is one of my highlights from Rome, and I loved it every time I saw it.
    Read more