Satellite
  • Day 40

    Sorrento

    October 8, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    What a difference a day makes, from nasty Naples to stunning Sorrento. This place is heaven!!

    We somehow managed to make it on to the train at Naples after fighting against a huge crowd of people determined to get off the platform and not make any room for people trying to get on. I can understand how people get pick-pocketed here. It was overwhelming. The train ride was just as unpleasant as I was sat across from an old lady who was muttering Italian in a “devil” like voice and doing the sign of the cross for the whole ride. I think she put a curse on me. Arriving in Sorrento broke that curse.

    Our room is beautiful, location amazing, the streets are clean and the sun is shining. There are very few people here so we spent the afternoon wandering the streets, exploring the area, checking out the shops (I love the ceramics here) and enjoying an afternoon drink sat overlooking the amazing water. It is such a pretty town and so full of colour. Such a contrast to where we just came from.

    And we had some amazing meals here too. While waiting for our accommodation we enjoyed a very delicious brunch at Mo Mo, a kitchen and bar next door to where we are staying. We enjoyed it so much we went back for dinner and I had the best ravioli so far on the trip.

    Another place we visited twice was the Restaurant Terrazza delle Sirene at the Foreigner's Club, overlooking the amazing coastline. We enjoyed an afternoon drink and snacks on our first day, had a chat with some English tourists at the next table, and patted the local cats who joined us, while admiring the beautiful scenery. We were so impressed we returned for dinner on our last night and it was fabulous. Another plus for this beautiful town.

    We don’t want to leave. Sorrento put us back into holiday mode and helped wipe away the homesickness blues.
    Read more