Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Casa di Giulietta, Verona

    September 12, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Verona is known as the home of Shakesheare's Romeo and Juliette and you can't visit Verona without visiting Juliette's balcony. While Shakespeare never went to Verona and the actual site wasn't the inspiration for the setting of the two non-fictional characters' balcony scene, it is the city's top attraction. It was also made famous in the movie, Letters to Juliet, and as a result the courtyard was packed with tourists, us included.

    In 1905 the municipality bought the 14th century Verona home from the Dal Capello family because of the similarity between their name and Juliet's family name. And so the house was marketed as the Capulet family home, Home of Juliet – and a new tourist site was born.

    A narrow archway leads into a small courtyard where you can admire the small stone balcony on one of the walls. There are many traditions/superstitions associated with this site, ways to ensure your love lasts forever or help you find your true love. As a result of these traditions though, the historic building has been damaged and steps are being taken to stop some of the traditions from occurring.

    As you walk through the alleyway into the courtyard, visitors have left notes attached to the walls, either a vow of eternal love made by lovers or the wishes of singles seeking love. Legend has it that if you leave your note here you will stay together with your partner forever. The notes and letters have since been removed due to the damage they were causing the mortar as most were attached with chewing gum. Replaceable panels now cover the alleyway walls on which visitors can write their messages of love. Not quite the same thing but people are still doing it.

    Love notes were also left tucked into the wall and those have now been replaced with putting chewing gum on the wall with you and your lovers initials. Bit gross if you ask me.

    In the courtyard there is a bronze statue of Juliet and legend states if you touch her right breast you will find your true love. The original famed statue, which stood in the courtyard since 1972, was pulled from its Verona home due to cracks and wear from the touch of thousands of love-seeking tourists. The statue was moved to Museum Castelvecchio where it was restored and now displayed. An exact replica now stands in her place and tourists are continuing the tradition.

    There are so many traditions for such a small courtyard that it is really quite bizarre what people will do, thinking this will ensure their love forever. It is a bit tacky and very touristy and probably not a place I would really recommend to visit as it is "just a balcony".
    Read more