Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Mainz, Germany

    April 11, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    We farewelled Miltenberg and hit the road to our next stop. Who knew an hour and fifteen minute drive would take almost double that time. With a large truck on fire on the autobahn and us taking the wrong ring roads three different times, it seemed like we had been driving forever by the time we made it to Mainz. We are just hoping there were no cameras for the red light Brad mistakenly drove through. It was not a fun driving day.

    However Mainz lifted our spirits. Being the largest and capital of Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, it didn’t have that big town feel which was very surprising. Situated on the Rhine River, it is known for its old town, with half-timbered houses and medieval market squares.

    Mainz was founded by the Romans in the 1st century BC as a military fortress and is famous as the birthplace of Johannes Gutenberg, the inventor of a movable-type printing press, who in the early 1450s manufactured his first books in the city, including the Gutenberg Bible. Mainz was heavily damaged in World War II; with more than 30 air raids destroying most of the historic buildings in the city centre, but many were rebuilt post war.

    This is one town we wish we had more time to explore. There was so much to see and such little time. We wandered the market square, admiring the decorative buildings, the spring time flowers and Easter displays, the historic buildings and soaring cathedral. Sadly the Cathedral was closed so we were unable to peak inside.
    Read more