Satellite
  • Day 12

    Englishcher Garten Sud

    September 15, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    On arrival back in Munich, we headed to the English Garden, a huge green space in the centre of Munich, where the locals come to swim, surf, sun bake - including nude sun baking in a particular quadrant - exercise, read, enjoy a picnic, etc. etc. Of course there are also several beer gardens and cafes to eat and drink beer. It’s a pity I dislike beer, as wine is not always an option, so I have been drinking water, which is not a bad thing.

    The Englischer Garten is one of the largest urban parks in the world. The layout has undergone many changes over the centuries as new buildings and green spaces were added. In 1789, Elector Carl Theodor ordered that a public park be established along the Isar River. He assigned an Englishman, Benjamin Thompson, who worked at the time for the Bavarian Army. The park got it’s name because it was laid out in the style of an English country park.The network of paths equate to 78 kms, and there are soccer fields as well as a Japanese teahouse.

    As most people in Munich live in apartments, this type of green space is crucial to their well being. One suggestion from me would be to ban smoking, as that does spoil the experience slightly, and maybe create separate bike paths.
    Read more