Satellite
  • Day 44

    Shelburne, Vermont

    September 26, 2014 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    Spent almost six hours at Shelburne Museum today - one of the most amazing museums I've ever seen. It is described as a "collection of collections". There is no attempt to recreate historically accurate buildings, they are simply used to display the unbelievably diverse collection of the original owner Mrs Havermeyer Webb. One building contains six recreated rooms from the apartment she and her husband lived in on Park Avenue in NY. Thirty seven buildings, including the paddle steamer Ticonderoga, on 45 acres with 150,000 works. The folk art collection is amazing - bandboxes, dolls, dollhouses, weathervanes and of course quilts! They have the most incredible collection of hand carved circus figures & animals that took a craftsman and two helpers 25 years to complete and another exhibit of a circus ring and spectators that took that crafstman 40 years to comlplete. There was a special exhibition of the Civil War told through textiles - quilts, uniforms, clothing etc. A very informative and impressive collection of priceless pieces. Another exhibition of Amish and Mennonite Quilts which have been donated to the museum by the founder's grandson. A few photos of some of the buildings in the museum. There is also a lighthouse and you can get a great view of just some of the property from there. There's also a steam locomotive you can have a look inside and see it as it was when the Webb's used it to travel from Vermont to NY. Same with the Ticonderoga - the dining area was set up as if for dinner and the cabins were furnished as they would have been - absolutely beautifully restored.
    We were pretty weary after all that walking so bought some food and wine at the local supermarket and went to bed early!
    Read more