Satellite
  • Day 42

    Washington

    June 20, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Last day here, sadly. Packed after breakfast and decided to go to the Visitor Centre at the Capitol. It's the first working day of the week and there was certainly plenty of activity around the Capitol. There were oodles of cameras etc outside the Supreme Court, so something was going on and an even stronger police presence in the area.
    Arrived just in time to catch a tour of the Capitol, which was very interesting. We decided to go back to the hotel to check out and then went back to the restaurant in the Capitol for lunch. It was VERY crowded because there were 100s of UK military personnel from all service there for tours and lunch. After lunch we had a look inside the greenhouse at the National Botanic Garden. It was very hot again so we walked quickly back to the hotel and waited for Mike.
    The drive to Dulles was about 25 miles so we really appreciated Mike chauffeuring us!
    We got to the British Airways desk and just after we did their system went down!! It took about 45 minutes to complete the checkin process. Thankfully our luggage was under the limit, which amazed both of us. Had a couple of wines while we waited to board. I had to have a full body scan and the woman doing it the. Had to do a full frisk of my upper thighs and lower abdomen. The scan showed two largish yellow areas, however I was wearing a skirt and sleeveless top and had no pockets In either so I can't imagine why anything would show up. Must admit I was a tiny bit panicked for a minute but then she just let me go, without explanation.
    BA flight to Dublin not as good as the last one and it was very cold on the plane at times. The connection process at Heathrow is excellent - lots of colour-coordinated signage and you can't go wrong. Aer Limgus flight only took about one hour but by this stage I was hungry and thirsty. They charge for everything on AL, even water so we waited until we got into Dublin.
    We caught the Aircoach and thankfully our room was ready so we could shower and rest. I walked to the GPO to post a packet while Ron had a rest and then we went for a walk and had some lunch at Kilkenny's, an Irish goods store. It was delicious and very much appreciated. The cooler weather was so pleasant after the stifling heat of Kentucky & DC.
    Read more