Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Washington

    June 19, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    After breakfast we walked down Constitution Avenue to the White House, about an hour and a half walk. We started before the heat hit but it was still hot enough to raise a sweat. It was difficult to get a broad view of it because of trees on the side and the barrier has been moved further back than last time we were here - there are now about four barriers. Throughout the city there are more police officers/cars/vans than I've ever seen in one city, which is totally understandable. From the bottom of Constitution Avenue we walked along Pennsylvania Ave to the Museum of American History, which we hadn't seen for a few years. The Star Spangled Banner exhibit is one of the exhibits that has changed since the multi million dollar renovation. We had something to eat there and when we had finished we walked back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. We caught the Metro to Friendship Heights, where Margaret met us and drove us to the Kenwood Country Club for dinner with Henry, Sam & the children. Had a lovely meal in a beautiful setting. It was all too short and Mike drove us back to the hotel, via the scenic route along Embassy Row. Went for a brief walk before going to bed, leaving the packing until tomorrow morning.
    First shot, the White House, the next three from the Museum of American History, including Michelle Obama's Inauguration gown from the First Ladies exhibit. Next is Union Station and the last is a family snap from dinner.
    Read more