Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 6

    Day 5 - The Oculus

    15 września 2023, Włochy ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    Oculus, meaning “eye” in Latin, the Pantheon Oculus is an opening at the center of the dome. This 25-foot wide opening is the only natural light source in the Pantheon interior. Curiously, some believe the oculus was not only designed to illuminate the Pantheon interior but also to serve as a sundial.

    A beam of light penetrates this circular hole to create a dramatic effect as it slowly travels across the floor and wall of the rotunda, illuminating them like a spotlight. This intriguing aspect of the Pantheon immediately catches the eye of any visitor who enters the vast circular space. I was totally looking forward to the view.

    The oculus acts as a compression ring that distributes the forces of compression at the centre of the dome. It is 1.40 meters thick at the edge and is reinforced by 3 successive rings of long flat bricks known as “bipedales”. The bronze ring that covers its edge dates back to the original construction and is all that remains of the original bronze roofing.

    Notice the light changing on the wall over the 1.5 hrs I was there. Each pic was taken from the same spot. Also, check out the view through the oculus with my camera. You can actually see the blue of the sky and still make out the interior of the ceiling. Freaking amazing.
    Czytaj więcej