Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    On our way

    May 25, 2016, Tyrrhenian Sea ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We had an early start getting the last few jobs done such as topping up the water tanks etc. and by 09.30 we were ready to leave the marina.
    It was hot and sunny with NW winds 10-20 knots and there was still a swell at the mouth of the harbour after Saturday night’s high winds but everything else looked good.

    We cast off the two stern lines and the weight of the ropes on each side of the bow pulled us away from the quay. Paul then untied them and left them drop into the water. So far so good!

    We motored out slowly, meandering through the marina until we reached the fuel berth near the harbour mouth.
    As we crossed to the opposite side of the harbour entrance we could see and feel the swell outside which was quite severe as the coast here is shallow.

    We had to wait for about twenty minutes before going alongside the fuel berth as another yacht was being refuelled.
    When we began to refuel, we found that the fuel was foaming and backing up the hose. Limiti had warned me that he had a problem the last time he filled up but when I had checked the hose I could not find any obstruction. It seemed like an eternity trying to fill the tank.

    The heat and trying to drip feed the tank so that the flow didn't back up was causing me to get cramps in my knees and back so I gave up after about thirty minutes but then discovered that I had only got sixty two litres into the tank which was now reading just over half full, so I reckoned we had about one hundred and ten litres and more than enough for our first leg to Castelsardo in Sardinia which is one hundred and seventy five miles to the west.

    We then remembered that we still had the key fob for the marina gate that we had been asked to leave on another boat, so we had to head back near where we had left from and dropped it off before headed back out a second time.

    It was 10.30 before we eventually motored out between the two breakwaters of the harbour into the swell to begin our journey to Castelsardo in Sardinia. Only two thousand five hundred and eighty miles to go.

    The swell soon eased as we left the coast behind.
    At first we motored as there was little or no wind but I had wanted to try out the engine and the autopilot anyway.
    We motored for about half an hour before hoisting the main and then after another half hour we unfurled the genoa as the wind increased enough for us to sail and we were able to turn off the engine.

    We were finally on our way on fairly flat seas and light winds.
    The wind was to the NW, off our starboard bow and we were on a close reach doing 4 knots.

    Paul had the helm and was enjoying himself so I had to wait patiently for my turn.
    By 13.00 our speed had increased to 5.4 knots and we were settling into a relaxed mood as we began to eat up the miles. We hoped to reach Sardinia tomorrow morning.

    The wind didn’t last and by 14.00 we were back to 3.5-4.5 knots but in the evening the wind increased again and we were soon skipping along making 5+ knots close hauled, as Paul took over the galley to began the dinner.

    Paul is an amazing cook who only needs one saucepan for his concoction. It is very tasty while being at the same time indescribable and is just called ‘Stuff’!

    After dinner we began the watches. We agreed on watches of three hour duration and I left it up to Mick and Paul which one they would like to do.
    It turned out that Paul liked watching the dawn come up and Michael was happy to start at midnight so the skipper got to go first….for a change.
    We began at 21.00 with the skipper, Mick took over at midnight and Paul taking the dawn watch at 03.00.
    We continued the watch system during the day but in a less formal way.

    As midnight approached, the wind died again and I furled the genoa and started the engine.
    Paul and I are used to sailing at night when it can be difficult to steer correctly but Mick isn’t, so it suited us to motor during the hours of darkness.

    Our first day at sea, everything is going well and we're heading in the right direction for home.
    Read more