Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Bound for Lymington

    May 30, 2017, English Channel ⋅ 17 °C

    In the morning Declan who is training for a triathlon headed off on a run while I headed for a coffee and apple tart. Priorities, priorities!!

    After doing some provisioning I returned to Eureka and Declan arrived soon after.

    We left the marina at 13.30 and soon after we departed a Russian frigate arrived and sailed into the berth we had just left.
    It was lucky it had not arrived earlier as we would have given it a broadside of the few apples and oranges we had.
    The frigate was a replica of one built by Peter the Great in the 1700's. As it sailed into the port it fired a cannon and this reverberated off the town making it sound much louder than it actually was .

    We had a nice sail in the lovely sunshine out of the harbour but when we turned turned east and went on a broad reach, the wind eased.
    We headed south of the infamous Eddystone Lighthouse and set a course for the next headland on our route, Start Point.

    We changed course to go a bit more south and that instead put us on a broad reach rather than a run and we made better time.
    But even that didn't last and we eventually had to drop the sails and turn on the engine, motoring along on a calm sea and when night came, the clear sky gave us plenty of stars overhead. The lights of the towns ashore showed us where the coast was.
    Read more