Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    A detour to an island for a swim

    May 31, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    At dawn we could see the glow of the light on Portland Bill which we passed at 08.00, very slowly as the tide was against us.

    By the time we reached the Needles Channel at 13.00 we had the tide again with us and as Declan wanted to have a swim, we motored towards the Isle of Wight and anchored in Conwell Bay.

    We got to try out the deck shower when Declan got back aboard and then we headed for Lymington but not directly.
    The entrance to the harbour in at right angles to the main shipping channel in the Solent and it's very shallow on either side of the narrow dredged channel.
    We had a bit of fun when two Isle of Wight ferries appeared, one ahead after leaving Lymington and the other inbound from behind us. Was there going to be room for us?

    We managed to keep out of their way and entered the harbour and turning to port and enter the marina. We tied up in our allocated berth at 17.30.
    After doing the paperwork we explored the town and I recognised that I had been here before on a previous visit to the UK in the car with Maeve.
    We had a nice dinner ashore at a riverside pub and returned to Eureka for a coffee before bed.
    Read more