Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Shelter in Tresco

    June 22, 2017 in England ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    The forecast was for westerly force 5 to 6 so we decided to delay our voyage home and to seek better shelter as St. Mary's harbour is open to winds from that direction.
    New Grimsby is the most sheltered anchorage from the west and we had 'done' St. Mary's, so once the tide had risen enough to cross the Tresco Flats we headed north in the early afternoon.

    We past 'Wind Surf', a cruise boat that is mainly powered by sails. She was anchored off St. Mary's as her passengers were ferried back and forth to the islands.

    It was third time lucky, this time we were lucky enough to find a vacant visitor mooring and we quickly tied to it before someone beat us to it.

    We went ashore and headed for the other side of the island where there was a lovely restaurant the 'Ruin Beach Cafe' and had a lovely dinner while over looking St. Helen's Pool where we had previously been anchored.

    After dinner we wandered slowly back to the harbour as the sun went down and borrowed a launching trolley to get the dinghy down the beach as the tide was out, even further out than I had expected.

    Unfortunally later during the night at certain stages of the tide, we were broadside to a swell that crept into the harbour and which didn't rock us to sleep, quite the opposite. Maeve was not happy.
    Read more