Satellite
  • Day 27

    Oxford

    January 11, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    On Saturday we travelled to Oxford for the day - Guy had not been before and I wanted to see it again. We caught a double decker coach called the Oxford tube which got us there in about 1.5 hours. After a quick coffee we headed to Broad St for our walking tour of the colleges and city area. It was a really good tour with a former student and Oxford native as our guide. We spent time looking at the grounds of Trinity college including the chapel and dining hall. We then walked through to see the Sheldonian theatre, Weston library, Bridge of Sighs, Bodleian Library and the Radcliffe camera. All these places are only a couple of minutes apart and we even got to see the lamppost which may have inspired C.S. Lewis!
    We found a table upstairs in a Greek cafe in the covered market for lunch. The weather was ok but quite grey most of the day but we decided to see another college. This time I wanted to go back to Magdalen which I had visited back in 2004 with Mum, Aunty Lois and Narelle (although that day was much hotter!). We wandered around the cloisters and out to the path beside the stream, spotting deer in the park. Finally we made our way back to Broad st and passed quite a while in the enormous Blackwell’s bookshop to finish the day.
    Our dinner was again just out on Earls Court road - sourdough pizza!
    Read more