Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Lilliehook Fjord and glacier

    June 21, 2022 in Svalbard and Jan Mayen ⋅ 🌧 3 °C

    First stop on the cruise. Long briefings about polar bears and AECO done, we took to the zodiacs for a couple of hours. The glacier is massive and spectacular and we saw a few small calvings. But no wildlife apart from a few birds.

    Walk up a nearby hillside past some old oil drums and twisted metal, the remains of a wwII German weather station that was bombed by Norwegians.

    Sharing a meal table with young (?) UK couple, Richard and Amy, vets from Liverpool way. Good people, on honeymoon.

    First impressions of the trip an Ship.

    The ship seems excellent in choppy seas, very Littleborough, and is also excellent cruising through ice.

    Expedition manager, Howard, has been doing this A very long time. He's climbed Everest and many other interesting trips. Yet he is not inspirational in any way. Dull monotone voice and similar outlook. He speaks like Marvin, the paranoid Android. But without the depressing side or the humour.

    He maybe very good at managing the Expeditions but you need more than that when running a trip for paying passengers. And so far his trip matches his personality.

    Food on board is adequate. Suffers from comparison to Ponant.

    Covid protocols are very half hearted. Sort of thing you should either do properly or not at all.
    Read more