Satellit
  • Tag 116

    Day 114 Highways and Tunnels!

    13. Juli 2018 in Italien ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Friday 13/07/2018 (Day 28 SZ) La Locanda Del Vagabondo CORSO DEL POPOLO 7, Villalfonsina, 66020, Italy -

    Well our fold down bed didn’t fling back up during the night and in fact we both had a pretty good sleep.... slower start as we phoned Mum and Dad and tried to phone John’s dad for his birthday today... but they were heading out so didn’t have time to chat... my dad and mum we had the usual conversation with them either holding the screen to the nostrils or up in the air... crazy pair... but we did somehow manage to have a conversation so that’s the main thing...

    Our trip today took us, not the Township of Rimini where we managed to see an old fortress from the outside... looked like they were preparing for a big event... from here we walked up the street finding some fruit and veggie markets so bought a lovely piece if watermelon 🍉 .... so looking forward to it... then we walked around the block... which in Italy is never a square block somehow you end up who knows where, but fortunately we saw the back of the Fortress after a few wrong turns so could work our way back to the car...
    Before we hit there we discovered a wonderful village square with unreal buildings off all sides... ohh how I love Italian villages they are full of hidden gems everywhere...

    John looking at the time said we had to run my tour director who keeps us moving... up the coast a bit then I land through big village after big village even found a huge upmarket shopping centre with you guessed it Maccassss.... had the usual John did that is... I am so over sweet goodies to share as we do they make me sick literally... really sweet stuff tends to really make my tummy feel very ill....

    So today I stayed away from the stuff for once...

    Then up the Hwy we went from one tunnel to the next on and on they went... some tunnels are there totally for the convenience of the farmer 👩‍🌾 so he can get from one side of the hwy to the next... could you see our government spending money for the sake of a farmer to produce... not on your Nellie they won’t...poor Buggers...

    So finally after coming past olive grove and grape 🍇 vineyards one after the other we finally hit our little abode...

    Well this time we are in a tiny village... one street with houses either side and a back street either side that’s it... we had to go to the Magic Bar to collect our key then taken to our apartment.... we are starting to slowly get used to surprise, surprise... but this one truly was a surprise... crazy the kitchen bathroom were kind of normal. It had 2 bedrooms, both were either side of the house we were on the top floor again, about 20 steps this time... but the roof was about 45% angle inside so I though the other place I had to duck low this one was even a bigger duck. I literally did lie on the bed and skim myself along it to get in and out of bed,., the silly thing is it had a table, longe book case etc all under the lowest part of the angle... no way any of could be used just looked good or on paper to say they had this gear here...there were 3 other beds in this room, and the same for the other bedroom... looked nearly mirror take of each other... all we could do was laugh it was so stupid you just couldn’t use it normally...

    So having done our usually unpack... we headed out to have a look and a drink at the Magic bar... the village had the obligatory Cathedral in the middle of town... one bar, one supermarket, and 2 hairdressers and heaps of older locals all sitting on chairs out the front of their homes, mainly little units, chatting and checking us out....

    Ordering at the bar was a challenge but we managed.. then we sat down and allowed to locals to stare and check us out...from here we wandered through the street checking out the old homes, doors and windows. Then by I believe Gods hand this lady started to speak to us... in Italian I said something then she immediately started to talk to us in English... turns out Ellena comes here every year from Canada... her husband was born here and loves to come yearly... they have been doing it for years... she comes a month before him to set everything up... this time their son, his wife and 2 granddaughters are coming for a month and her daughter and hubby for 2 weeks... she told us about a fig tree filled with figs for free... she said after dinner if we go back to the magic bar she would meet us and take us there...

    We went home I cooked dinner it was 10pm by the time we had it, then went back to the magic bar and yep met Ellena, who took us walking to the fig tree and telling us all about the locals and the village...

    Seems most had been tobacco farmers and when tobacco become unviable they had nothing until the now grape 🍇 Vino industry commenced... most are retired now.. and as she kept say very set in their ways... turns out Ellena was actually born in Italy but moved to Canada when she was 5..... met her husband Italian as well in Canada..... they have 3 children, she is a teacher does relief work now, is also a stage coordinator for stage plays and concerts... sings in choirs etc... etc.. fascinating lady and so lovely of her to take us under her wing...

    We gathered our back of figs, just so many I had to make it into jam... after we were covered in red fig juice, back to the magic bar... where we meet a heap,of teachers who have been coming here from Belgium for the last 20 yrs for 6-8 weeks holiday... they now own properties here now... Ellena says the locals don’t like it, but the group from Belgium 🇧🇪 is growing and buying more homes here.... They love it here and the main lady I talked to it turns out her husband was born here also... hence why they come back every year..... the Magic Bar is a happening place cars pull up and just chat to people sitting on the deck... all the older men sat here most not drinking just chatting until called by family to come him for dinner.... some did that then come straight back after the had eaten... the young guys also meet here as well... none stop action in Villafonsina...fascinating to watch it all unfold...

    It was funny as Ellena took us walking she spoke to each of the older locals sitting out... all asking what we worked out about us... all we could here her tell them they Australiana .....funny as....

    I would much rather be in places like this than cities so much happens in these small villages they are the hub of true Italy...

    At midnight we had to call it quits and head home... we hav another long trip in the AM, this one has been actioned packed... now to tackle yet another slopped roof so I don’t knock myself out...
    Weiterlesen