Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Bells Beach

    April 15 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Bells Beach is an iconic surfing destination located along the Great Ocean Road near Torquay, Victoria, Australia. Here's what you need to know about this renowned surf spot:

    Location: Bells Beach is situated approximately 100 kilometers southwest of Melbourne, near the town of Torquay. It's easily accessible by car via the Great Ocean Road, making it a popular day trip destination from Melbourne.

    Surfing: Bells Beach is world-famous for its powerful waves and challenging surf conditions, making it a mecca for experienced surfers from around the globe. The beach is renowned for its consistent swells, particularly during the southern hemisphere's autumn and winter months (March to September), when large swells generated by Antarctic storms produce epic surf conditions.

    Rip Curl Pro: Bells Beach gained international fame as the host of the Rip Curl Pro Surfing Competition, one of the most prestigious events on the World Surf League (WSL) Championship Tour. The competition has been held annually at Bells Beach since 1961, attracting top professional surfers and huge crowds of spectators.

    Surf Breaks: Bells Beach features several distinct surf breaks catering to different skill levels. The most famous break is the Bells Bowl, a powerful right-hand point break renowned for its long rides and challenging conditions. Other breaks include Rincon, Centreside, and Southside, each offering unique surfing experiences.

    Scenic Beauty: Beyond its reputation as a world-class surf spot, Bells Beach is celebrated for its natural beauty and rugged coastline. The surrounding cliffs and coastal landscape provide a stunning backdrop for watching the surf and enjoying the breathtaking scenery of the Great Ocean Road region.

    Walking Trails: Visitors to Bells Beach can explore scenic walking trails that wind along the clifftops, offering panoramic views of the coastline and opportunities for wildlife spotting. The Bells Beach Surfing Reserve features interpretive signage providing insights into the area's surfing history and environmental significance.

    Beach Access: Bells Beach can be accessed via a steep staircase leading down to the sandy shores below. There are also lookout points along the clifftops where visitors can enjoy panoramic views of the surf and coastline.

    Facilities: While Bells Beach is primarily a natural reserve, there are limited facilities available, including car parking areas, public toilets, and picnic tables. Visitors are advised to bring their own food, water, and sun protection, as there are no shops or cafes directly on the beach.

    Whether you're a seasoned surfer looking to ride epic waves or a nature enthusiast seeking stunning coastal scenery, Bells Beach offers an unforgettable experience along Australia's Great Ocean Road.
    Read more