Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Titanic Belfast

    May 9, 2022 in Northern Ireland ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    Today rain is forecast but we were fortunate and walked to the bus before it started. We disembarked the bus at Donegal Square West and decided to walk to the Titanic Quarter as we were familiar with it from our bike ride yesterday. Of course we started our Titanic expedition with coffee and cake! We then collected our audio guide and set off. The expedition gave a very good account of life in Belfast at the time the Titanic was being built. Belfast was a budding commercial centre and thriving port. The linen industry employed many women and children, even though it was a dangerous job for little ones who had to retrieve thread from the working machinery. Ship building employed men on either a permanent or casual basis, the hours were long about 68 hours a week and the work dangerous. There were many supporting industries in the town as well, like whiskey and tobacco businesses. Living condition for the poor were still very basic with usually no running water and cramped quarters. The fight for independence was on going in Southern Ireland so there were political, religious and social divisions. Of course the successful businesses meant the city had many wealthy citizens and smart, spacious houses sprung up for them.

    White Star and Cunard were in fierce competition, Cunard offered a fast Atlantic crossing with their newest liner so White Star decided to create the luxury Olympus class of liners which included Titanic, which they hoped would be the most prestigious of their fleet. The best cabins were very expensive but a large proportion of the cruise companies income did come from the large number of people wanting to find a better life in the new world who were travelling in steerage. The Titanic improved conditions for these travellers and offered cabins with bunk beds and a basin with running water, communal flush toilets and a dinning room where meals were served and where there was a piano for entertainment. It was no longer steerage but 3rd or 2nd class.

    We checked on rendezvous point for the outside walking tour we had booked and were offered a refund as it was so wet which we accepted.

    We also visited the Titanic drawing office which is now incorporated into the Titanic hotel. Next we visited the SS Nomadic which was used in Cherburg as a tender to transport passengers to the Titanic on her maiden voyage. This ship also had different areas for the different categories of passengers. It is now the only surviving White Star ship. Before it’s restoration it was used as a restaurant in Paris but had also seen service in the two world wars.

    The rain was still falling as we walked back to the city centre and after a cuppa and some cake we walked around to look at 3 of the historic buildings, the City Town Hall, the Opera House and the very ornate (inside and out) Crown Liquor Store which was surprisingly a National Trust property.

    We had some supper in Bob and Bert’s before joining the rush hour travellers, on the bus, as we travelled back to our site.
    Read more