Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Aguas Calientes - Day 1

    March 9 in Peru ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    Another early, big travel day to get ourselves really close to Machu Picchu. Started with an 8am flight to Cusco which required getting up at 530am.

    Once in cusco, made our way to the main Armas Plaza which was really striking with beautiful old buildings and the mountains around us too. Our taxi driver told us we needed to have cocao tea right away to help us with the elevation difference because we just went from sea level to 11,000 feet. So found a cafe in the plaza and also coordinated with Rachel and Caleb to meet up.

    We went for lunch at a fantastic spot overlooking the plaza and a better view of the mountains and then off to the Inca Rail office to catch our bus to Ollantaytambo. We had to split up briefly because Rachel and Caleb had to go get their luggage first from their hotel. The bus was about to leave and they sent me a message that they were lost! I tried to stall the bus and just as we pulled onto the road they thankfully arrived! Phew!

    Fantastic bus ride up into the mountains and through many cute villages. Stopped for a bit at an awesome lookout spot and had some fun moments with some local llamas.

    Then a huge descent eventually arriving at Ollantaytambo where we boarded a train to Aguas Calientes. Easily the most gorgeous train ride i have been on as we snaked through a very narrow corridor of jagged mountains on both sides.

    Finally at aguas calientes around 630pm. Total pedestrian town as there's no way to get here except via train. Lots of cute markets and high mountains tightly surrounding it

    Found our hotel and a restaurant not too far away and then eventually rested up for another early morning ... to Machu Picchu wooo
    Read more