Satellite
  • Day 19

    Para bailar la Pampa…(or Route 40)

    February 1, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Travel itinerary:
    Kilometres: 830
    Start time: 10.30
    Beginning Pampa: 11.30
    Stops: 2, in Esquel and in picturesque Rio Mayo.
    Border crossing: 20.30
    Arrived Coyhaique: 22.30

    Micha is exhausted, and so am I. Micha has been driving, all day and I´ve been navigating, charging our cameras, and taking care of “administrative stuff” in these 9 hours’ drive. 80% of the journey was Pampa. For dessert, 150km of gravel road. After finding two full camping places, we managed to avoid sleeping in the car by taking the last spot in Camping la Alborada. Sandra is incredibly guest-friendly and kind, after such a long day, we appreciated that heart-warming welcome.

    We saw Emus, rabbits, alpacas, random cows and sheep. The changing landscapes were fascinating, it reminded us of Iceland, just blown up to another scale. I think actually, Iceland fits several times in the Pampa region we drove through.

    Border-crossing tip: make sure you ALWAYS cross the option that you have food items with you (they will check and probably find something that you are not aware of), and an address in the town you are planning to sleep in. It´ll save a lot of (unnecessary) stress.
    Read more