Satellite
  • Day 46

    Chill’n in Chiang Mai

    July 17, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 86 °F

    Chiang Mai is a beautiful, quiet, and spiritual city of 128,000 in Northern Thailand. There are many ornate, old, new, large, small…temples in the city and monks of all ages are easy to recognize in their orange robes. Many of the temples are from the Lan Na Kingdom that reigned for 500 years (13th-18th centuries). Chiang Mai was the capital of the kingdom and thus the center of wealth and religion. Today, Chiang Mai is Thailand’s 3rd largest city and a tourist destination for domestic and International travelers.

    We’ve only heard one gentle toot of a horn since arrival. This a tremendous contrast to India and Egypt where horn honking is ubiquitous and relentless, and maybe essential to navigating the roads.

    Kai likes Chiang Mai so much he’s lamenting that we can’t stay longer and he’s plotting a return trip in December 😳!

    Photos are of the temples around or neighborhood (hotel) which is within the old city walls.

    Tomorrow we’re off to an elephant sanctuary.. We elected not to ride elephants in India for animal welfare reasons. We are excited for our chance to interact with them tomorrow. We will also learn about their care & about efforts to reduce their misuse around the world.
    Read more