Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Getting There

    August 29, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Our journey to get to the UK was always going to be epic. Just how epic, we could not have known. We started at 4pm Sydney time and flew to Singapore, an 8 hour flight, disembarked, re-emabarked, then flew onto London. Another 13 hours. With time sitting in the plane on various tarmacs, we were a full 24 hours of non-stop travel. That is a very long time. We arrived in London 4pm Sydney time the day after we left.

    What can I say about Economy class? Or cattle class as it is commony called. It's expensive enough to fly to the Northern Hemishere, but crammed in with strangers, with tray tables down, feeling like you've been concreted into position, it really is a challenge like no other. Every muscle aches, back sore, buttocks in anguish, thighs seriously considering giving up the ghost, head pounding, and during the pandemic, we're all wearing masks for the entire time. Good grief, I think Hannibal's troops crossing the Alps with the elephants in 218 BC had an easier time of it.

    I helped pass the time by listening to music, a selection of favourites I chose before I left. And also watching the movie, The Duke, starring Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren which I thorouhgly enjoyed. I also watched three episodes of The Gilded Age starring Christine Baranski set in early America when wealthy families owned and ran New York. Lots of class prejudice, new money vs old money, that kind of thing.

    The flights however were smooth, and getting through Customs at Heathrow an easy stroll, although Chris' new moustache did trick the Passport computer which didn't recognise him, necessitating a human to human contact. Unfortunately, due to a stupid mess-up by me, our apartment in Vauxhall was not available for us to access till 3pm. So, we've had to kill time since a 7am arrival when all we needed (desperately) was a shower and a small sleep.

    But we're here. We're safe. Hello London.
    Read more