Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Jewish Ghetto area

    August 28, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    The Jewish ghetto in Warsaw is famous in Polish history as the neighborhood where the Nazis walled in up to 500,000 Jews. At the time, Warsaw had the 2nd largest Jewish population in the world after NYC. Poland provided protection, and was a center of religious tolerance and freedom for centuries. By the end of the war, almost all 500,000 had been killed, most at Treblinka.
    The ghetto was destroyed by the Nazis. These pictures are of memorials in that part of the city where the ghetto had been. The 1st picture in said to be known to Jews worldwide and is the memorial of the uprising in the ghetto in 1942. The 2nd is of the simpler 1st memorial to those who revolted.
    The 3rd picture is of the stature of Jan Karski, the journalist who gathered evidence of the Holocaust early in the war, but no one believed him as it was too horrific. He remained in the US and taught at Georgetown.
    The last 2 pictures are of the Polin, the museum of the Holocaust in Warsaw. The entryway is said by the architect to represent the parting of the Red Sea. The last is of the mezuzah at the entrance to the Polin. It is made from a brick from the foundation of one of the demolished ghetto buildings that was excavated at the site.
    Read more