Satellite
  • Day 8

    Torun gothic churches

    September 3, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Torun has 3 medieval gothic churches. There are many others in town, but these are the most significant. You will note thay while the buildings were built on the gothic style, most of the interior decor is Baroque. It also seems like much of the decor doesn't fit the space. Much of the Baroque furnishings were brought from other churches. After reformation, this region became protestant. So the iconoclasts destroyed the decor. What is here is from churches damaged and not repaired.
    The 1st 3 pictures are of St Mary's church in the old town. This was built by the Franciscans. Notice the 3rd picture where frescos have been exposed. These were recently found during renovation work when paint was removed. This is an excellent example of the work of iconoclasts covering ornate decor.
    The 4th and 5th pictures are in St John's church. This was built as a city church, not by a specific order. I find it interesting that the church is dedicated to 2 Johns: both the Baptist and the Evangelist.
    The last church is St. James that was built by the Dominicans. There is only 1 picture as this church wasn't open.
    Read more