Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Poznan

    September 4, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Poznan is the 5th largest city in Poland and the site of the oldest diocese in Poland. Poznan was a fortified city between 2 rivers.
    In the 10th century, the local ruler was baptized which was followed by the start of the 1st cathedral in Poland. And the city outgrew its walls
    What's known now as the old city was built as a new walled city to accommodate the growing population.
    Poznan was heavily damaged during world war 2. So most of the pictures show reconstructions. The 1st picture looks at a portion of the market square, said to be one of the largest in Poland. The 2nd is of a statute of goats. It is said that a couple of goats escaped and ran up into the top of the city hall where they started butting each other on a balcony. It was enjoyed so much it became part of the city. There's even a glockenspiel that remembers this that I didn't get to see.
    The 3rd picture is in the nave of the cathedral and what is claimed to be the most beautiful baroque church in Poland. The 4th picture is the very recent reconstruction of the castle.
    The 5th picture is of typical narrow medieval houses built this way as taxes were a function of the width of the house. Most had shops on the ground floor and accomodations above.
    The last picture is of Freedom Square. In 1918 when Poland was reestablished as its own country after 123 years of partition, Poznan was left as part of Prussia. Paderewski gave a speech here that prompted an uprising that resulted in this region joining Poland.
    Read more