Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Krakow

    September 9, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Krakow is Poland's 2nd largest city; it is the cultural center of the country; and it was the royal capital for hundreds of years. Even after the capital was moved to Warsaw, the coronation of kings occured in the cathedral in castle (see another post).
    The 1st post looks across a portion of the main square in Krakow which I'm told was the largest such square in all of medieval Europe. The building is the market hall in the center of the square, and the 2nd picture looks down the length of the interior of the market hall. The 3rd picture is another portion of the main square. It is said to be 200 meters long on each side.
    The 4th picture looks along one of the main streets off the square.
    One of the symbols of Krakow is the dragon. This stature of the dragon is in a park on the shore of the Vistula River at the base of Wawel Hill (see another post). This dragon does really breathe fire. I just wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch it.
    The last picture is in the courtyard of the oldest building of Jagiellonian University, the oldest in Krakow and one of the oldest in Europe, dating to 1364. Not surprisingly, two famous alumni are Copernicus and Pope John Paul II.
    Read more