Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Czestochowa

    September 11, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Czestochowa is a city in southern Poland known for the Monastery of Jasna Gora (which means Bright Mountain in Polish). This is the home of the world famous Black Madonna (see the 1st picture), making this monastery and the shrine, in particular, an important pilgrimage site for millions every year. No one really knows the origin of this piece. One legend says the evangelist, Luke, painted it on the top of Mary's table. Helena, mother of Constantine, found it on one of her searches for the true cross. She brought it back to Constantinople. From there it made its way to this monastery in 1384, where it has been since.
    The rest of the pictures are of the monastery. The 2nd picture is a side chapel off the main sanctuary dedicated to the monastic order of the monastery: the order of St. Paul, the first Hermit. The first monks came from Hungary in 1382. The symbols and coat of arms of the order are visible. The 3rd picture is of the nave of the basilica or main church.
    The 4th picture is of the Knights Chamber where royalty would visit and important meetings were held . In the upper arches are paintings of these memorable events.
    The 5th picture is of the main entrance to the monastery.
    Read more