Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Ancient Corinth

    November 17, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Corinth is an ancient and important city located about halfway between Athens and Sparta at the isthmus between mainland Greece and the Peloponnesian peninsula. Pottery found here has been dated to about 6500 BCE, but it remained a backwater until about the 8th century BCE which is when the city began to grow into a wealthy and advanced Greek city. However, the classical city was destroyed by Rome and sat deserted until refounded by Julius Caesar in 44BCE. It's this city with it's expansions and remodeling that we see today.
    It's likely that much of our familiarity with Corinth comes from the correspondence of St. Paul, along with Luke's recounting in Acts. I rarely post selfies, but I had to do this one. I'm standing on the Bema of the Roman forum where Paul was tried by the proconsul Gallio. Visible in the background is the Roman forum.
    The 2nd picture looks down from the forum level to the Lechaion Road, the main north-south road from the forum to the port on the Gulf of Corinth.
    The 3rd picture looks across the forum to the "northwest shops".
    The 4th picture looks along the Temple of Apollo from the front. The standing pillars are in the rear. The 5th picture is the Peirene Fountain as it was redone by the Romans. It was a water source for the city from antiquity.
    Greek cities of the period had a high city or acropolis that was the center of government and a fortress defending the city. Corinth is no exception and their acropolis is extraordinarily high. The last picture is the mountain with the acropolis on top. You can just make it out in silhouette.
    Read more