Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Byblos

    December 2, 2021 in Lebanon ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Byblos is one of the oldest (some say 3rd oldest) continuously inhabited cities in the world, and it is a delightful place full of history, nightlife, the Mediterranean, mountains and most everything you might ask for.
    Evidence suggests that settlement goes back as far as the 9th or 10th millennium BCE with continuous inhabitants since the 5th or 6th millennium. Since then, they have been part of most every middle eastern civilization over the years, and those various groups have left their marks.
    The 1st picture is of the old souk or market in the old town. This souk, reminiscent of souls elsewhere in the Arab world, is still a vibrant and active place: during the day for haggling and shopping; and at night for nightlife, including lots of open air pubs.
    The 2nd picture is of the crusader Castle of Gibelet (the crusader name for Byblos) built in the 12th century. Dead center in the picture and very small arched bridge into the castle. This is an Arab addition and one example of the mix of cultural influences here.
    The 3rd picture is taken from the rampart of the castle. To the left are 2 Phoenician temples from the 3rd millennium BCE, another example of the many cultures who have been here.
    The 4th picture is of a Roman colonnade marking what would have been the Cardo Maximus or main street.
    The 5th picture is of the Cathedral of Saint John-Mark, built by the crusaders in 1115 CE. There are several theories here. Some suggests that the 1st century John-Mark established the 1st Christian community in Byblos on his way to Asia Minor. It is thought that the church on the site was originally built over a destroyed pagan temple. Then the crusaders built this church upon those ruins. Much is speculation, but the stories are interesting and fun.
    The 6th picture looks over the Byblos harbor to some ruins at the entrance through the old seawall.
    Read more